A better world with child sponsorship
Child sponsorship enables a common person in an evolved country to aid a child from a poorly developed part of the world until he or she can become independent. This aid consists of money, clothes, moral support, and anything that can make a difference. This practice is usually conducted through a child sponsorship organization that deals with money transfers and contacts between sponsors and children. Though they are sometimes blamed for creating cultural gaps between children of the 3rd world, the child sponsorship organizations are the ones that strive to give a helping hand when everyone else has turned their backs to the fate of the unfortunate.
Child sponsorship focuses on needy children who lack even minimal food, water, and shelter and who live a tough life without anyone caring for them or providing them with an education. Some of the most affected countries are Paraguay, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia, and Brazil and each presents a different challenge for child sponsorship organizations.
- Brazil is one special case as this is a country of extremes. Rich neighborhoods coexist near slums and shack towns. Children are often used for labor here and education is almost non-existent.
- Colombia is a country torn by wars where child sponsorship is hard to find. Children there are often trained to become soldiers or bombers and the only education they get is meant to teach them how to use a weapon.
- Honduras is divided into very rich and extremely poor. Child sponsorship organizations have a hard time getting over the corruption and poverty. Housing is minimal and education is the same. Only 24 % of the population is able to read, therefore this country needs immediate child sponsorship.
- Guatemala is the place where almost all the children are unhappy. The rate of infant death is high and education is poor. Child sponsorship could really do some good here by help at least some of the 60% of children that live in rural areas. They are the ones that are put to work in the fields early in their life.
- Peru is a country where most of the children are not well educated. A child sponsorship program would really help in a country where most of the population is very poor and in need of desperate help.
- However beautiful Paraguay is, 60% of its population suffers from poverty. The children are the ones with the biggest problems. Reports show that one-third of them never finish school because they can’t speak the national language. Child sponsorship can help these children reintegrate into society by teaching them and offering financial support.
This short presentation of child sponsorship organization findings is intended to remind us of the ordeals innocent children have to go through in several well-known parts of today’s world. As one can easily see, child sponsorship is necessary and it is sometimes a hard job requiring infiltration into very dangerous areas of the world. NGOs, as child sponsorship organizations are also called, have no profit out of the activity they lead. This is why frauds appear all of the time. There are some false child sponsorship organizations that actually take the money for their personal interests instead of delivering it to the children. However true this may be, there are still some people that want to do good to poor souls in need. They deserve to be given the chance to save someone if they can and if they are willing. One should not generalize and say all child sponsorships are fakes because of some exceptions.
Contacting a child sponsorship organization is quite simple. One can use communication by mail, fax, or through the Internet. Some companies allow persons to send payment via e-mail or by using online payment. There are two ways to sponsor a child. Periodical payment is one of them and it is the most beneficial for a child. The person who uses child sponsorship can have a direct connection with the child if he chooses to. Small gifts and letters can let the child know that someone is thinking of him or her and offering support in time of need. If such a way would be too painful or if the person can not afford a monthly donation, he can still do some good by using the one-time payment. A child in a photo line-up can be the beneficiary of good intentions. While some say that helping only with money is crude and unethical, it is the only effective way of helping these children. If choosing a child from many is a painful task, it is obvious child sponsorship programs can’t help all children and someone has to decide. Perhaps in time, with the help of many generous persons, child sponsorship programs will be able to help most of them. However, this idea is quite ideal and, unfortunately, there are not many interested in doing so.
Child sponsorship is one of the most rewarding charity actions for both donors and beneficiaries. It is not gratitude that makes the best payment a person can receive from a child, but knowing he has made a positive change in the world and his actions will reflect in many more in turn. Good gives birth to better.
Note: This content was curated from a third party.